We are halfway through 2014 and it has been a great and energetic six months!
WHAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED:
1. Our March Spring Conference at Rutgers University was a big success with several new members and lots of students attending the informative and fascinating presentations. It is turning out to be a student dominated annual event!
2. A fun April Networking Dinner with Neal Pire in Atlanta at the National ACSM Health & Fitness Summit and Exposition. More education and a few new members to boot.
3. May special event at the ACSM National Conference in Orlando was filled with shouting and laughter. A new student member, Ryan Bjellquist, took home the grand prize to our Movie Trivia and Cocktails event. Even more cheering was experienced at the National Student Bowl which we will be a participant in next year with our first student team!
4. In June, we held our first ever “Pearls of Wisdom” Member Discussion Group with information about ACSM’s “Exercise is Medicine” Credential and then a wonderful Facilitated Stretching workshop led by Sue Brown. A great member turnout and lots of new members joined in.
5. In July,Midsummer Night Pool Party held by BodyLocal. Chapter members received discounted registration.
1. August, 2014 holds NYC’s “Summer Streets” where Park Avenue is blocked off several Saturday mornings where we will offer our information and demonstrate great exercises for the general public.
2. September, 2014 will have our fund raising event to gain money for a worthy cause. As many exercises that can be done in 2 minutes in order to help those in need! Can you handle it!
3. October, 2014 we will volunteer at the Wheelchair Basketball Tournament at Manhattan College in order to stay involved with local community events and support Sports Medicine programs in our area. Some amazing “hoops” at a Division I Basketball Powerhouse.
4. November 8, 2014 will be the ACSM-GNYRC Annual Conference/Meeting at the Hospital for Special Surgery. An all day educational event with 3 tracks of presentations, Poster Presentation contests, Student Bowl competition and Professional Networking at the best Hospital in America and some may say the World!
1. Fall Prevention Initiative – We need volunteer Exercise Specialists to go into Senior Centers and Community Centers to provide education to prevent falls and injuries.
2. Social Media Committee – We need members to join a committee to initiate our Social Media presence for the chapter.
What a great year 2014 is turning out to be! We want you to come get involved and join the fun. Just go to the Contact Us page on our website and send us an email. Let’s continue to make this a year to remember!
Sincerely, John R. Martinez, P.T., D.P.T. President
NYC Summer Streets Saturday Mornings in August Park Avenue