Another quarter of 2014 gone by full of fun events, networking, planning, and education. Our biggest event is only a weeks away; ACSM-GNYRC Annual Conference at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Here is the review, update, and what you can look forward to in our last quarter of the year!
1. October 25, 2014 we are training our members to go into Senior Centers and offer Fall Prevention lectures and workshops to help our communities stay safe and healthy. Let us know if you want to be a part of this great program that ACSM National supported with a grant!
3. December, 2014 will be another networking social opportunity in Manhattan at the amazing Mercedes Club in the hottest part of the city; Hell’s Kitchen! If you missed the last one, don’t miss this one for sure!
WHAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED:
1. In October, we have already been at the Matthew Sapolin Memorial Wheelchair Basketball Tournament at the Horace Mann High School in the Bronx. Great athletes, super nice and polite people, and lots of other professionals to network with while volunteering for a great cause. See below for what else is coming in October!
2. For the month of September, we put the final touches on the planning of our Annual Conference at the Hospital for Special Surgery with LIVE WEB STREAMING! Check out the “Meetings” tab to get signed up now.
3. In August, NYC’s “Summer Streets” had the ACSM-GNYRC in Foley Square; downtown with the Zip Line! We offered our information and demonstrated great exercises for the general public with lots of healthy competition and laughs and applauds for the winners.
4. July’s Midsummer Night Pool Party held by BodyLocal was crazy good! Chapter members received discounted registration and partied all night long!
5. In June, we held our first ever “Pearls of Wisdom” Member Discussion Group with information about ACSM’s “Exercise is Medicine” Credential and then a wonderful Facilitated Stretching workshop led by Sue Brown. A great member turnout and lots of new members joined in.
6. May special event at the ACSM National Conference in Orlando was filled with shouting and laughter. A new student member, Ryan Bjellquist, took home the grand prize to our Movie Trivia and Cocktails event. Even more cheering was experienced at the National Student Bowl which we will be a participant in next year with our first student team!
7. A fun April Networking Dinner with Neal Pire in Atlanta at the National ACSM Health & Fitness Summit and Exposition. More education and a few new members to boot.
8. Our March Spring Conference at Rutgers University was a big success with several new members and lots of students attending the informative and fascinating presentations. It is turning out to be a student dominated annual event!
Let’s continue to make this a year to remember! Come get involved and join the fun. Just go to the “Contact Us” page on our website and send us an email.
Sincerely, John R. Martinez, P.T., D.P.T. President